Call for Entry Prospectus - Disruption
VALISE Gallery is in its tenth year on Vashon, an island just a short ferry ride from both Seattle and Tacoma. Vashon is home to a varied and thriving arts community and is a frequent destination for city dwellers. Techies, film folk, nationally known musicians and curious travelers are among the diverse groups who spend time on the Island. Our gallery is located in the center of town and we draw as many as 500 people on opening nights. We are dedicated to introducing new art and artists to our visitors and are excited to announce our first Open Call.
THEME: In recent years, disruption has become a trendy term in business circles. It has come to apply to a company which upends the market by creating a need where none had existed before. It is also frequently applied to the present political climate.
Both are interesting and valid subjects for artists to tackle and we're interested in them, but we're also curious about other possibilities for disruption.
How can disruption be expressed in a purely formal sense? How does it apply to aspects of daily life? We're excited and intrigued to see what you come up with whether within these notions or something else entirely outside them.
ELIGIBILITY: 2D drawings, paintings, original prints (no giclees), mixed media or photography no larger than 48” high and 60” long framed. Freestanding 3D works under 12” in any direction.
ENTRY: $30 for the first 3 entries; $10 each for up to 2 additional entries; Max. 5
- Deadline is November 30.
- Notifications emailed by December 9.
- Accepted artwork to be delivered to Gallery December 30th. (If you’re traveling over the holidays, we’ll work with you to find an alternative date.)
- Accepted artwork shipped must arrive by December 28
- Opening Reception January 5
- Show Closes January 27
- Pick up for unsold art January 29
- Unsold art shipped week of Feb 1
- Attach images directly to one or more emails sent to email@example.com.
- Image files will be juried on line and must be submitted in JPEG format, no larger than 1200 pixels in any direction, saved at exactly 72 dpi. Files should be less than 3 MB total.
- Each image should be individually labelled as follows: lastname_firstname_title of work.jpg
- In the body of the email for each image submitted please include the title, medium, dimensions H” x W” x D”, and price of work.
- Payment should be made through the PAY FOR ENTRY button on the Gallery website below. Entries will be considered complete and ready for jurying after images are received and payment has been received.
- Artwork must be for sale. VALISE will take a 50% commission.
- Work may not be withdrawn prior to close of show on January 27, 2018.
- Artist retains all copyright to submitted images,however by entering, artist agrees that images of the artwork may be used in publicity materials.
- All work must be shipped or delivered to the gallery wired and ready to hang. No sawtooth hangers and no glass untapped work. 3D work must include supports if required.
- If artist cannot deliver work, shipping costs are artist’s responsibility. A pre-printed shipping label for return shipping must be included with your work. VALISE assumes no responsibility for WORK with insufficient return shipping.
- VALISE reserves the right to reject work that is not representative of the submitted images, is improperly prepared for display or that arrives damaged.
- While every precaution will be taken to protect and care for the work, VALISE will not be responsible for damage or loss from any cause.
Call for New Members
VALISE is accepting new members. Check out our application for membership page to find out more about whether VALISE is the right fit for you.